1. On what tectonic plate do you live? How many adjacent plates are there? What kinds of boundaries do you find to the north, south, east, and west? In which direction are these plates moving?
2. Based on your understanding of plate tectonics, will the California coast eventually “slide into the ocean”? Why or why not?
3. Volcanic islands, including the Azores, Canaries, and Iceland, lay scattered across the Atlantic Ocean. If you were to date the rocks on these and other Atlantic islands, what pattern do you predict you would find?
4. Geology has been called an integrated science, because it calls on several scientific disciplines to help explain features and processes of Earth. Explain how geologists have used other sciences to answer the following questions:
a. How old is a piece of rock?
b. How is heat transferred from Earth’s deep interior to the surface?
c. How does Earth’s magnetic field change over time?
d. What is the structure of Earth’s interior?
e. What is the topography of the seafloor?
5. What was Pangaea? How does plate tectonics explain what happened to it? Could Earth’s continents form into a single, Pangaea like mass again? Why or why not? If they could, can you estimate how long it would take for them to do so?
6. Is it possible to outrun an earthquake in a car? Why or why not? How can solid rock travel faster than a car? How is the energy of the earthquake transmitted through solid rock? (Hint: See Chapter 6)
7. Describe the three kinds of plate boundaries.
8. Describe the three different kinds of surface features that might occur at a convergent boundary.
9. Make a bar graph of the thickness of Earth’s core, mantle and crust. Make a graph of the densities of the core, mantle and crust. What do these graphs portray about the interior of our planet?
10. Mount Everest is now approximately 8850 meters tall, and it has been growing taller at a rate of about 2 centimeters per year. Estimate the approximate age of the mountain.
Place a similar order with us or any form of academic custom essays related subject and it will be delivered within its deadline. All assignments are written from scratch based on the instructions which you will provide to ensure it is original and not plagiarized. Kindly use the calculator below to get your order cost; Do not hesitate to contact our supports staff if you need any clarifications.